This article is for facility maintenance technicians who service Elkay bottle filler units and need a resource for both how to change an Elkay ezH20 filter in a bottle filler, and how to reset the filter light on their Elkay bottle filler unit after a new filter is installed. This article shares a variety of educational materials related to Elkay ezH20 troubleshooting for filter light errors and reset, including the following:
- A How To Video for changing a filter in an Elkay ezH20 bottle filler and how to reset the filter light,
- Step-by-step instructions on how to reset Elkay ezH2O filter status lights for both older and newer elkay bottle filler models,
- Filter light descriptions for green, light, red and red flashing lights, and
- Enhanced ezH20 error code E013 (filter missing or incompatible) troubleshooting.
How to Replace Elkay Bottle Filler Filter and Reset Filter Light Video
Watch the video below to learn how to replace the Elkay bottle filler filter and also reset the filter light on your Elkay bottle filling station.
This filter replacement and reset filter light video is shown on an Elkay LZWSSM Surface Mounted Bottle Filling Station. The filter is the Elkay Watersentry Plus Filter.
How To Change An Elkay Bottle Filler Water Filter Step By Step Instructions
- Remove the bottom panel from the unit. You will need a 5/32 bit on your driver to remove the two screws found on the underside of the bottle filler. In the video, we use our MegaPro Vandal Proof Driver w/Bits.
- Place a bucket underneath the filter to catch any spillage that may occur when removing the filter. Turn the filter counter-clockwise to remove it.
- Remove the red cap from the new filter, and insert the filter into the bottle filler. Turn the filter clockwise until you cannot turn it any further.
- Replace the bottom panel and screw the lower screws back into the panel.
- Run a minimum of two gallons of water through the new filter to purge air and any fine carbon particles that may be released from the new filter.
How to Reset Elkay ezH20 Filter Status Light Step By Step Instructions
Newer Models: Newer Elkay ezH2O bottle fillers will automatically reset once a new filter is properly installed.
Older Models: Older Elkay ezH2O bottle fillers will not automatically reset with a new filter installation. Here are step-by-step directions for resetting the filter state on older Elkay bottle filling stations, directly from Elkay.
- Remove the top cover by unscrewing the two Torx screws located on top of the unit.
- Locate the toggle switch (also called program button). You will find it on the right side of the unit towards the front.
- Push the toggle switch for about 2-3 seconds until the display changes (it will become brighter and display a different message).
- The display will then scroll through 2 messages: ‘RST FLTR’ (Reset Filter Monitor) and ‘SETTINGS’ (the System Settings Sub Menu). Press the toggle switch once when the message reads ‘RST FLTR’. The display will change again to show ‘FLTR=0’.
- At this point, the Green LED will indicate that the filter has been reset.
- Replace the top cover and screw in the 2 Torx screws.
Elkay ezH2O Filter Light Descriptions
Elkay ezH20 Green Light
When the filter light on your Elkay ezH2O bottle filler is illuminating the green light, then your bottle filler is supplying filtered water from the unit. The green light indicates that the filter has between 100-21% of its filter life left. No action is needed when an Elkay bottle filler filter light is green.
Elkay ezH20 Yellow Light
When the filter light on your Elkay ezH2O bottle filler is illuminating the yellow light, then your bottle filler is supplying filtered water from the unit. The yellow light indicates that the filter has between 20-1% of its filter life left. When the yellow filter light is present, then the facility maintenance technician should make plans to replace the filter soon by either ordering the replacement filter if a filter is not already in stock at their facility or scheduling a time in the near future to replace the filter if already in stock.
Elkay ezH20 Red Light
When the filter light on your Elkay ezH2O bottle filler is illuminating the red light, then your bottle filler is not supplying filtered water from the unit. The Elkay filter status red means that the filter inside the units has either used 100% of its life or has been in use for over 12 months and that the unit is no longer providing users with filtered water. When the red filter light is present, then the facility maintenance technician should replace the filter as soon as possible.
Elkay ezH20 Flashing Red Light
*Note: this will only occur on P-SKU Elkay units.
When the filter light on your Elkay unit is flashing red, then there is an error. Either the filter has been installed backward or there is a problem with the unit’s NFC board or tag on the filter. The suggested action is to remove the filter and reinstall it 180 degrees from the original installation position.
Newer Model Missing or Incompatible Filter Error Code
Newer models like the Enhanced ezH20 bottle fillers, display different error codes when certain items are malfunctioning. The following error code: E013 is displayed when a filter is either missing or incompatible with the unit. When this filter related error code shows, Elkay recommends taking the following courses of action to fix the problem:
- Checking that the filter is properly installed - Is the label facing forward, white tag facing back, filter in the right orientation, etc.
- Unplugging the unit for at least 30 seconds then restarting it
- Replacing the filter with a different new filter and seeing if the code persists
- Replacing filter head assembly with the following repair kit: Elkay 1000002030 KIT - FILTER HEAD-BRKT-FTGS
We carry a wide variety of filters for bottle fillers and water coolers. View our Filters section to order the filters needed for your facility's drinking fountains. We carry commercial filters made by brands including but not limited to Elkay, Oasis, Halsey Taylor, Brita, and Haws. Many of these filters are in stock and ready to ship. If you don't see the filter needed for your commercial drinking fountains, give us a call so we can order it for you.
Mon-Fri 7:30AM - 5PM EST